Thursday, November 5, 2009

It's National Adoption Month
We didn't know 14 years ago when we got married that we would be adopting kids. It was never something we really even planned for, but as you know here we are on number 4! How this process is stressful, blissful, annoying, frustrating, amazing, tiring, exciting, emotional, etc. all at the same time can only be fully grasped when you choose to go through with a personal adoption. No words could ever describe how something so emotionally draining can be one of the very things that you would never change about your life. We have been absolutely blessed with the ability to be called "adoptive parents" to four awesome kids whom we love with everything we have. Each of their situations are very different from one another although the one thing that remains the same is how grateful we are that, for whatever reason, we were the "chosen" parents.

Graysie: You were the first baby that taught me that I could love something that I hadn't carried with me for nine months. I loved you from the second I knew you'd be my baby and waited for you to come just like I waited for labor pains to start with your big brother and sisters. It was the first time I got to "see" one of my babies be born and to be totally focused on your first breath. You're so loved by both Amanda and I that, unlike most kids, you have two moms who worry about you and want the best for you. You are funny and beautiful, caring and smart. I can see that you are so proud of who you are and I hope that you don't ever forget how special you are.

Mikael: You were so broken when we got you that we weren't sure how you'd be able to overcome the obstacles that had been placed in your way. Had we only known what a fighter you are we never would have lost sleep over it. You are so compassionate and concerned with everyone you come in contact with. You are a helper by nature and although it wasn't what you were taught for your first three years of life you are one of the very few kids I know who naturally puts others above himself. I know that you will do great things.

Kayela: Although we were just waiting for one baby boy, we were lucky enough to get you as a bonus! Once you decided to love and trust us as your parents, you did it with all of your heart. Their isn't a day that goes by that we don't know how much you appreciate us as your mommy and daddy. You are never lacking a great compliment and when you find something that needs to be said you never hold back. You are always wanting to share your adoption story and are so drawn to teach others about adoption that you are sure to spark foster-adopt awareness in the future.

Tait: Our sweet, sweet guy. How we long for the day that we can call you ours. You are the perfect picture of what we dreamed about for so long while waiting for the call announcing we'd be parents again. You've brought a common passion to our family, that cannot be described by words. I am a sucker for those green eyes and dimples and how I know you will use that to your advantage in the future. You are so laid back and patient and it has been nothing short of amazing to be able to love you each day.

I love being an adoptive mom, even with the challenges it brings each day. I wouldn't change this craziness for anything!

Enjoy the video: