Monday, December 14, 2009

"You can dress her up, but you can't take her out!"

I never had a wedding. I never wanted one either! Even as a little girl, when most of my friends were dressing up and having their Barbies get married it never crossed my mind. It's funny to me that all of my girls already talk about their weddings. They have planned in great detail what flowers, colors and what dress they will be wearing. They have planned what their groom will say and what he will be wearing too. I sit back and laugh to myself often about how different they are than I am. To this day I've never regretted not having a wedding! It never crosses my mind that I missed out on anything because I really don't feel like I have. As a matter of fact the thought of planning for months, spending money I'll never see again, dressing up in a too tight white dress, walking down an isle in front of my parents friends and family, saying things that are only meant to be heard by my husband without laughing or messing up and then entertaining the crowd afterwards really just doesn't hit the top of my "to do in this lifetime" list. I know, I know this is a big dream for some, I'm just saying NOT ME!


Although, I did love homecoming, prom, dressing up for galas and fundraisers, and of course one of my favorite parts of our cruise was getting all dolled up for dinner each evening. Funny thing is, I can get all dressed up but I still just can't help but feel sorry for Josh. Seriously, I don't have a grown-up nerve in my body. As hard as I try to act sophisticated and mature I just can't pull it off for very long. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty clumsy and even fell down the stairs one day...I just happened to be holding a drink too, which made the effect even greater and the bad thing was that I hadn't even had a drink yet, so unfortunately I was too sober to really think it was funny. Good thing is that Josh is pretty used to me falling since I do it on every vacation at least once. Every evening I would whip out an elegant up-do and put on my fancy dress and yet every evening on the way back to our room I couldn't help but say "JAACCK....JAAACCCKK" in my raspiest distressed voice. I'd burst out laughing and a few times I even kicked off my shoes and ran down the hall to our room. I thought it was funny all eight nights of our cruise.

I just can't help but wonder if it ever gets old for Josh. I mean really I wonder if he ever just gets sick of not being able to have an adult conversation. I don't know, maybe in some strange sort of way, he appreciates being able to let his guard down and just answer to my S.O.S. calls of "JJJAAACCKK" down the hallway of our cruise ship. Maybe he's ok with the fact that I'm all dressed up and shouldn't be allowed to leave the house.

Anyway, here's some of my favorite dressed up pictures of us. Keep in mind while you look at them that Josh can be dressed up and taken out.... and.... well.... I can just get dressed up:

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: dressing up cruise 2009
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

1 comment:

Nanette said...

You guys are such a sassy lookin couple! I loved this blog! JJJJAAAACCCKKKK. Greg would probably throw me overboard after just a couple times of saying that.