Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Role Model

So, every now and then I think I might be doing SOME things in this parenting gig right.

Every now and then I see my kids smile and I know that I am raising happy adults. Every now and then I laugh at their witty comments until my sides hurt and I have to tell them to stop! Every now and then they do something really thoughtful and I know I have planted the seed of selflessness in them..... somehow. Every now and then they actually do something that might seem "normal" and I know that common sense has been absorbed. Every now and then someone else tells me how polite my kids are and I know that when I'm not around they sometimes might be using their manners. Every now and then they do something just because it's the "right" thing to do (and for no other reason) and I know that they are secure enough to make confident decisions that don't always win the majority vote. Every now and then I feel like I am doing more right than wrong! BUT..........

Then there are times when my kids baffle me! They say and do things that leave me questioning why they don't do even MORE extensive research when someone wants to adopt children. I wonder if I'm worthy to have my dogs, let alone 6 kids! Saturday morning just happens to be one of those times.

I was moving rather slow. I was recovering from a fun night with friends who stopped by for a little bit of food, a lot a bit of fun. Actually, it started out with just one friend that moved to two that moved to three and suddenly we were a loud crowd of suburban life gone wild! Kids were having a blast with friends and were in and out of the kitchen where all of us adults were gathered telling stories and getting louder by the minute. We laughed and made fun of each other and for a minute (just a minute) I was glad to be back in the old 'hood where friends just show up on your door step with a seltzer water (because they know we have the Grey Goose) and mozzarella salad. Where more friends come bearing x-box games and controllers, so kids will be occupied. Where kids who aren't even mine open the cabinets and pull out food because they are hungry and know I want them fed. Where other friends uncharacteristically stay up past 10 so their little can stay "just a tiny bit longer". Yes, for a moment I forgot about my beach and simple, quiet life in the bliss of my familiar surroundings. Friends left in the early morning and I crashed hard in my bed with a few extra bodies snoozing in the house. When I finally got out of bed for good, my mind clouded from the previous nights fun, I heard something that made my heart race with panic!

The kids had been up entirely too early for my liking and so had a whole day under their belts. They respectfully kept quiet (which translates to "they were quiet so they could get away with more") and were sitting around the kitchen table on a break from destruction when I over heard this conversation:

Kaidon: "ma'am, what would you like to drink?"
Graysie: "vodka on the rocks!"
(I'm the worst mom!)
Kaidon: "ok, ONE VODKA ON THE ROCKS! Ma'am what would you like?"
Kayela: "uuummmmm, Mawgawita no salt....just one"
(How is it that my seven year old knows how to order at a bar?)
Kaidon: "and you sir?"
Mikael: "I will have a Margarita too but I want salt"
(Good for him, he's not being a follower, progress!)
Kaidon: "ok, TWO MARGARITAS, ONE WITH SALT THE OTHER ONE PLAIN! Ma'am what can I get for you?"
(He's got to be talking to Mihya Qwencie...c'mon baby, it's up to you to redeem your mom here)
Mihya Qwencie: "uuuummmmm... I will have.....let's see....a decaf, gluten free no sugar soy milk latte in a recycled cup!"
(Bammo! My princess SAVES my ass again! See? I'm not doing EVERYTHING wrong! Plus, how telling their individualities are with these simple "bar orders")

TIME PASSES, KIDS MAKING FUN OF MIHYA'S ORDER!

Mihya Qwencie: "I just don't want to get drunk like mom!"

Ok, so there's always tomorrow!





1 comment:

Kristi said...

Oh....MY....WORD!!!!! That is hysterical! I so wish I was in your neighborhood. I would LOVE friends that just stop by to hang out and I would love to just stop by and have even HALF that much fun!!