Friday, January 15, 2010

Mike Wazowski
I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned in my blogs that Josh has a beautiful singing voice. He is amazing and has often been on worship teams and part of quartets, singing in choirs, etc. One time awhile back Josh was asked to sing in church with the choir backing him up. He loved the song choice and was thrilled at the opportunity because this has always been one of his dreams. Josh only had from Tuesday until Saturday to have his song mastered which was a huge challenge considering the fact that he was going to be out of town for two whole days of it on business where he just couldn't be preparing. Although he could have turned it down, he was just to thrilled with the song to be able to say no.

Wednesday evening at music practice Josh clearly did not have his song memorized, given he'd only had it for less than 24 hours. Obviously, it was not a concern though because he still had several days to get it learned. By Saturday at the first service, it was a bit of a dilemma when he still didn't feel confident with his portrayal of the song. So, another worship team member backed him up. Wow, it really sounded so beautiful and they pulled it off without a hitch!

About a week after he sings he's always given a copy of his song. We began to listen to it as we drove home. The song finished and Josh was quiet so I asked how he thought it had sounded. I know Josh is his own worst critic so I wasn't expecting him to give me positive feedback, although I wasn't expecting his answer either. Josh turned his head and said "I feel like Mike Wazowski (from Monsters Inc.)....I finally got on the front cover of a magazine and they slapped a UPC symbol across my face, you can't even hear me" Now, I personally thought he was nuts! I could hear him loud and clear but that really isn't the point is it? No, the point it makes is that HE felt like Mike Wazowski.

I started to think of so many of the times that I too felt like Mike Wazowski. Of how many times even my loved ones have made me feel like Mike Wazowski without even realizing it had been done. Anywhere from Christmas parties I'd planned every detail of, to marketing, to a business idea I gave to a friend that really took off! None of which I personally had been recognized for. Then I started to think of all the times I've probably done the same to others around me, unintentionally of course.

Mike Wazowski....not a good place to be is it? Or, is it? In the movie, Monsters Inc. Mike loves all his "fame" because he is there and knows he's served the purpose he was intended for. He just doesn't give a whit if anyone else knows he exists because inside of himself he is confident knowing he was part of Sully's success. As a matter of fact he even knows without him, Sully wouldn't have had success. So, maybe being a mike Wazowski shouldn't be that bad. Strive to be my best, giving my all to the success of those around me. Being a "silent partner" not looking for fame, recognition or fortune. Being at peace with the part that I am blessed at and finding confidence within myself in that role. Mike Wazowski didn't mope around feeling sorry for himself wishing the world knew he existed. He knew he existed and he knew Sully knew he existed and that was satisfaction.

I'm not sure how, but I am going to strive to be more like Mike Wazowski. I hope I find myself in more situations where instead of negatively I can positively and confidently say "I feel like Mike Wazowski". How amazing would I feel knowing that everyone around me got to be a Sully because I chose to be their Mike? From now on I am going to be proud of the UPC I hide behind so other's can take the cover, and in that find my peace. If your one of those that seems to always be on the cover, I challenge you to find an area in your life where you can hide behind the t.v. logo or UPC and give your Mike Wazowski a chance to be on the cover for once. Trust me, you'll feel more amazing than being in the spotlight. Be a Mike Wazowski!

1 comment:

Nanette said...

I wanna be a Mike Wazowski! Tell Josh not to feel bad. I had a big solo (Irene Kara's "Flashdance") in High School. I came out in front of the choir and did a whole big solo. I was so proud. But, then I found out someone had tripped over the extention cord. I never got to see or hear myself on tape. I think this sounded like a great Sunday sermon! I should forward it to our Priest! Nice job! xo