Thursday, June 17, 2010

Eating Worms
I'm not that big of a complainer. Actually I think I am pretty upbeat and positive most of the time, especially considering what I have to deal with sometimes. I enjoy laughing at things and making sure I put a positive spin on things. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not at all saying that I NEVER have a negative word or thought. I do. I often do. I'm one to be irritated that Kaidon talks to loud, while Mikael speaks in a barely audible voice. I am not happy when my six year old has a fit that sends the neighborhood indoors because they don't want to hear it. I roll my eyes when I walk into Emma's room only to find that a tornado hit the house and she failed to tell me so I could make an insurance claim....again! I'm annoyed by Graysie's abrasive personality especially when it is to an innocent bystander in line at the grocery store. When Mihya decides to play her guitar practically sitting on my lap when I get on a phone call, I'm not all June Cleaver with her. So, clearly, I'm not saying I don't complain at all. I'm just saying I don't make a habit of consistently sitting around wondering what I can complain about next; and you know, there are people who do that.

I think we've all experienced "the complainer" at some point in our lives. Ya know, the one you see and instantly act like you're in to big of a rush to stop and chat. The one your spouse says "what's wrong now?" as soon as you walk away from a conversation with them. Seriously, these people are draining and tiring and need to find something else to talk about! I sometimes wonder if they just have really poor communication skills and they have no idea how to engage in a conversation or maybe it's just a bad habit? I don't know what or why it is; I just know that I try very hard not to be this type of person and to be sure I don't surround myself with these people either. With all of this said, I have to admit that yesterday I was a complainer!

From the start of my day it was bad. Josh is out of town on business, my youngest child's goal right now is to finally send me to the loony bin, I'm not getting a break because of summer vacation and I am admittedly hormonal (not to be mistaken for pregnant...please, please don't start that rumor it wouldn't be good for my weight complex). Let me clarify too (although I almost don't want to say this out loud) many good things happened yesterday. My mom is here visiting, we spent several hours shopping, we got pedicures and I set a hair appointment instead of going with a box color (because remember I learned my lesson?). So, much of my day was good but it felt like most of my day was just plain old terrible, horrible and no good (hmmmm, now that's clever, I should write a children's book or something). I ended up complaining. I actually called my man and vented! I complained about everything from the sun in the day and the moon and stars at night (gosh, I am good, I really should write a children's book.....or we can agree this is starting to look like plagiarism?) oh, boy, did I ever complain! I'm sure my main squeeze was thinking "what in the hell? who is this? was I sober all those years ago when I sealed the deal? what does she want me to do....." and I'm sure many other things he'd probably be willing to tell you. Instead, he listened and he loved me and understood me and showed me compassion and grace and honor and I didn't deserve any of it but he praised me for a job well done and appreciated me for being me. I love that about my guy! He knows how to keep this girl focused on the positives and lifted up so high that I actually believe in myself when the world doesn't.

As I sat here later, still munching on a few left over worms, I realized what an awesome catch I have. I don't acknowledge enough how good I have it and how lucky I am to be married to someone who's life goal is to leave people better. It's what he lives by and I love that he's so genuine about it that I reap the benefits often. I love you Josher, you're my everything!

No comments: