Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Warning, Contents Under Pressure!
I hate school! Seriously, I HATE the kids being in school. Now, I'm not freaky enough to want them home ALL of the time, but it sure does make my life easier when they are at home. I feel like a time bomb waiting to go off when they are in school! From the moment we wake up at 6 a.m. until we hit the pillow at 10 p.m. (if we're lucky) I am running crazy from laundry, to girls hair, to soccer, to school, golf, tennis, daisy's, intramurals, baseball, piano, dance, doctor appt's, and you name it we're probably trying to work it into the schedule! It's nuts! The kids meet me at the van after school with a friend in tow and my answer is "NO!" They ask for a slumber I say "NO!" birthday parties are hit or miss depending on the friend but usually the answer is "NO!" Really, it is crazy to think about but some things are just not possible when we have so much going on. Do you know that when the teachers assign 20 min. of reading for each child a night, with only the five I have in school now, I am listening to 1hr. and 40 min of choppy,"See Jane Run" books EVERY.SINGLE.NIGHT. It's so not a good place to be and on any given night I want to scream "GIVE ME THE DAMN BOOK AND I'LL READ IT TO YOU, JUST DO NOT TELL YOUR TEACHER AND EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT!" But how sad would it be for me to be doing seven kids' jobs behind their bosses backs in the next 20 years...so not pretty!

Then summer comes and now I just say "YES" to everything. "oh, you want to streak at your brother's baseball game? SOUNDS GREAT, HONEY, BRING A FRIEND!" I mean it I am like a totally different parent in the summer than I am during the school year. I am a YES WOMAN! I can handle anything! Even just Friday night all the kids wanted friends to spend the night and I was totally feeling good about having 13 kids in the house. Turned out we only had 11, but it was so fine. I know some of my kids friends probably went home saying "I think Mrs. Hunt is on happy pills finally 'cuz she let us do anything we wanted to do!" I even felt kind of bad for some of the parents who know that I usually have stricter limits than they do when I sent their children out the door the next day telling them "Oh, BTW, they wanted a few donuts for breakfast and I didn't mind so beware they may be on a sugar high for the next oh, say, week! Good Luck, come again!" Actually, they are probably trying to find the doctor who prescribed the presumed happy pills to tell him/her that they need to lessen the dose quite a bit!

Truth is, I am off the hook in the summer! I have no one to impress...or should I say TRY to impress (to no avail) I can put the kids to bed late and have them get up late. We have all day to read for 20 min. Most activities are on a summer break I am free to do whatever I want! It's great! No pressure all fun! Trust me I'm sure I'll be ready for school to start back in session by August, but for now we are enjoying this break...all of us!

1 comment:

Nanette said...

Can you say "Home School?"