Thursday, August 6, 2009

Marketing Scam!
I have to admit, I am a sucker. Yes, I'm a sucker for a few things. If it involves animals, babies, Disney or a really cool gadgety hoodinky I am lured in like you would not believe. Seriously, I can spot a baby from across the room. I am an absolute mess if I see anything remotely bad happen to an animal. Actually, I just saw a commercial for Dawn dish soap that says they protect animals or something like that and I said to my whole family when it was over that we will no longer be buying the brand I typically buy, but that we are now strictly Dawn users, and I meant it. I don't care if it costs me two times the amount either. I have Disney facts up my sleeve. Lots of facts that your common human being can live a lifetime without. Now, really cool gadgety hoodinky's (technical term) I am the first to get my hands on. I don't know why, but I am a marketing and advertising magnet. They see me coming and I swear to you, they know they just have to push the button and I am taking the bait. All three payments of $29.99 each!

So, when I saw the advertisement for the new self administering air freshener, I knew right then that I would have one. Monday when we were at Sam's Club (that is where a mom of seven does her grocery shopping, for those of you with less than two kids) low and behold they had this new gadgety hoodinky on their shelves. It was even better than the one I'd get at the regular grocery too because it came with three, yes three, refill air fresheners. I snatched that thing up and put it directly into my cart. I was really thrilled (sick huh?) to have my new toy and as soon as the groceries were unloaded I opened up my new contraption and put the batteries in it. I read all the directions and made sure to set the settings just right. I verified that I liked the smell and good thing is, I did! I placed my new toy in the perfect spot...and that is when I realized I had been scammed!

You see, I have now seen this commercial several times. Never does it show the "reality" of the product. I know you are all thinking "how sad, Ambyr is so naive to think that what they show on the commercial is reality" but you have no idea how far off this product is from the truth. I know you are wondering if it doesn't keep the air fresh. It does. I know you are wondering if it doesn't only go off every 30 minutes. It does. I know you are wondering if it isn't as inconspicuous as the commercial says. It is. The only thing the commercial fails to show is how it scares the %$&*@ out of you every time you walk by it! I am not kidding you...this is NO joke. I have it placed in the foyer on a little table and I swear I will walk by that thing and, by design, it takes about 2-3 seconds and then sprays a puff of lavender scent into the air. The "puff" sounds something like this PPPFFFOOOOSSSHH!!! I about crap my pants every time I am around it. My house isn't even quiet and you've got to understand I am not a jumpy person. Really, it is just as bad as someone hiding in my coat closet and jumping out at me.

Again, like I said before, I've watched the commercial over and over and they never show a neurotic housewife duck for cover when the "puff" of air freshener goes off. I am really writing someone a letter about this false advertising!

1 comment:

Nanette said...

Ya need to forward this letter on to the manufacturer! They must know about this as soon as possible! If you don't tell them they could have a lawsuit on their hands with it startling you so bad it gives you a heart attack! Or perhaps you can just take it back to Sam's. :)