Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Monsters Vs. Aliens
I know, I know you think I am savvy enough to be doing a movie review but I am absolutely not. No, I am just going to explain how sometimes (more often than not) my home is just like monsters vs. aliens.

My kids are great! They are respectful. They use their manners...most of the time. They acknowledge when a person is hurting and in need. They recognize when a peer or an adult needs help (even today I dropped Emma and Kaidon off at a friends house and when we pulled up their mom was outside unloading groceries from the back of her car and they went and helped her finish unloading before chasing after their friends!). They support each other and cheer at games and practices for each other. A lot of the time I find myself saying "it's just part of being in a big family, you just learn to help out and not be as selfish much quicker than if you were part of a small family" and I really believe that! It's definitely not our parenting skills because, quite frankly, these kids are raising us! BUT....they ARE still kids!

Often the kids are getting along and having a blast with each other. If they get sick of one person they regroup and find someone else to bother...er...play with. Mihya has this tactic down pat, yep she will beg from the top down (Emma to Kayela) until she finds some poor victim to manipulate into doing exactly what she wants (hhhmmm...do I squelch that "gift" of persuasion?). Although, we usually have a game of 3v.3 something going on, their are those moments when not everyone is happy and I have to put on my "judge" hat and find out who the victim and who the culprit is! I swear to you, people, no matter what happens those little freaks split 3v.3 EVERY TIME!! My jury tears in half and fights 'til their eyes are popping out of their heads. No backing down, the person they are fighting for is innocent. Monsters vs. Aliens I tell you! They never stick with the same person either, nope it's not like Mikael always sides with Kaidon or Mihya always sides with Emma huh uh, that would make it too predictable for me. Which in turn means that we never get to the bottom of anything. Just today I heard crying from Mikael who was downstairs with Kaidon, Graysie, and Mihya for a little game of air hockey. I go down and ask what was the matter and he says Kaidon hit him and Kaidon says no, he lifted him up to get the puck from the middle (short arms) and he just started crying! I look at the girls who in unison say "Mikaels right" and "Kaidons right". OMG! They are KILLING ME these little monsters vs. Aliens! I just have to laugh.

I guess this is teaching me at least one thing...their is always more than one side to every story! These kids are great at teaching me "life lessons" I hope I am as great at teaching them some along the way too!

No comments: