Thursday, April 30, 2009

Yard Art

You will NEVER guess what happened to us! No. REALLY. You. Will. Never. Guess. What. Happened. To. Us.

Last night I was single parenting it again while Josh is out of town on another business trip. I had put all the younger kids to bed and was up with Emma and Kaidon in the living room. Emma was making some flip-flops and Kaidon and I were watching all of the Survivor episodes we had tivoed. Our dogs were chewing on some bones just hanging out when they both perked up and started barking. Now, our dogs just don't bark, we can have a whole pack of coyotes in the back yard howling and those dogs act like they don't hear a thing! One of the greatest benefits of having dogs when I am home alone is that they will protect me and the kids, so you'd think I would have taken their "warnings" and done something with it but instead I yell "NO! GET IN HERE!" and keep right on watching Survivor. I'm so glad Tyson is out....they need to get rid of Coach he's so full of *&%$!@ he drives me crazy. I almost want Emma to quit soccer because he irritates me so much...but then I realize maybe that's just not rational! I may hold a grudge against her coach though....oh sorry,off on a tangent, back to the story.... a few minutes later the dogs get up and run to the front door barking again and I call them back in and this time I make them "chill out" (they aren't allowed to move when this command is given) on their beds and we finish up the show. I sent Kaidon to bed and released my dogs from their hostage state but Emma begged for us to watch Biggest Loser because she is right in the middle of another pair of flip-flops (yes, we're reality t.v. junkies, although I don't like table for 12, those kids are so naughty! I don't want to give them positive feedback for bad behaviour...the parents or the kids!) P.D. has a bell at the back door he rings when he wants to go out, because like I mentioned before, he just does not bark so that is his signal that he needs/wants to go out. Knowing that he had already done his pottying I tell him no because after dark we have a slew of coyotes on our land and I don't want him to end up being a meal. Although he is very persistent and I keep telling him no over and over again. When we are finally ready for bed I start turning out lights in the house and that is when I realize that I never had turned on our outside front porch lights I flip the switch and through our glass front door and side lights I see something moving. The glass is tempered so I couldn't really tell what I was seeing I just knew something was out there! I run to the dining room and look out the window in there and that is when I am horrified at the sight:
WE WERE FLAMINGOED!



Yes our good friends, The Hansen's, had gotten away with flamingoing us with two guard dogs barking and having fits! Can you believe it? I think it is absolutely hysterical! Emma is mortified that all of our new neighbors are thinking that we have some new yard art. You should see how slow people are driving by the house and staring and of course the sign is pointing towards our front door so they have no clue what is going on. I figure if people are allowed to have llamas and peacocks, chickens and roosters then I should be able to have flamingos. Maybe the key is to put up a cage around them? I don't know, I suppose the fun in it all is trying to get away with flamingoing someone else. It is a great idea actually. In order to remove my flamingos and pass them on to some other unsuspecting soul I have to give a $25 donation to the high school, for just $15 more I can buy "flamingo insurance" so I never get them back. Fun! Watch out...I may be getting YOU!

No comments: