Thursday, October 8, 2009

What is That Smell?
About a year after Mikael and Kayela started living in our house we started to smell
some wretched stench every time Kayela was around. We'd smell her armpits, her buns, her neck...I mean you name it, we were smelling it. We tried to no avail to find the "stink" radiating from our child. I'd scrub her several times while giving her a bath. I started using adult deodorant soap on her baby skin. I started using powder in her diapers. I mean she just stunk like I cannot even begin to describe and yet we couldn't really pin point where it was coming from. Finally, I came to the conclusion that it was her breath and not only would I scrub her teeth several times a day with mint and baking soda toothpaste but I'd sometimes just hand her a toothbrush with the paste on it to sit and suck on. It was so bad that I made several appointments with our pediatrician who agreed she smelled horrid but he himself couldn't pinpoint why and went with my assumption of bad breath. I tried several homeopathic type things that supposedly cured bad breath, and yet my little three year old still wreaked. Our family and friends would come over and because they weren't used to the smell would be blown away by it and some even would tell her to go brush her
teeth. It was pretty sad and yet at the same time it was so awful that you couldn't help but try to get rid of the stink. This went on for months and months until a good friend of mine was at her hairdresser one day. I don't recall how it came up but Kayelas stink worked it's way into my friends conversation with her hairdresser. The man sitting next to her just happened to be a doctor and overheard her conversation about my stinky child and immediately said "It's her nose, somethings in her nose" and with that my friend called me to see if I wanted to check it out. I most certainly did and made an appointment with our pediatrician again. (Imagine me on the phone with the receptionist "yes, I need an appointment with the doctor, my child smells! yes, yes, she's been seen for this before") Sure enough Kayela had been storing the fuzzy from blankets, sweaters, pillows, etc. in her nose! It was rotting in there and you have no idea how bad it smelled when the doctor pulled out about 3-4 cotton ball sized fuzzies from her nose. It was so bad that all the other kids were gagging! (you know it stinks if kids gag) The room immediately smelled like a much, much stronger version of what we'd been smelling for the past several months! The doctor was amazed and each of us adults were trying to hold Kayela down without throwing up all over the room. Once we calmed her down from the trauma of pinning her on a table and reaching clear into her nose with tweezers, Josh picked her up and she took a giant sniff of his armpits. She then blurted out "you smell so good daddy!" Oh my gosh can you even imagine smelling that stink for as long as she had? Everyone in her presence had thought she smelled awful and yet she had front row seats 24/7!!! For weeks she walked around sniffing her nose in the air smelling and saying "that smells so good!".

Here's the catch...in a mega family like ours, once you are tagged as the "stinky one" you forever are blamed for every smell that crosses the room. I think probably on a weekly basis I will smell something we just can't quite put our finger on and call her over to peek up her nose. So, today when she was eating lunch and I kept smelling some awful smell around her I did my weekly sneak peek but found nothing. Then I remembered I had thrown some cooked cabbage away in the kitchen garbage can last night that I probably should have put out in the garage. Poor Kayela, I wonder if when she's at school and the teacher or one of the kids say "EEWWW...something stinks!" her heart races just a little bit faster?

1 comment:

Nanette said...

This was an amazing blog! If you could have seen my face when it started out. It sort of reminded me of a bad accident, you don't want to look, or in this case, read on, but you have to! EEEEWWWW! Did she put those fuzzies in there on purpose? My brother use to put m & m's in his ear. I am glad your stinky mystery is solved. I am sure she feels like a whole new girl! What a story! I loved her smelling Josh's armpits! Glad she said he smelled good and not smelly!