Friday, January 16, 2009

Do You Want Separate Checks?...WHAT?
So, last night our family went out to dinner. It is always a funny experience when you go out to dinner anywhere that doesn't officially cater to kids. What I mean by that is "anywhere that isn't Disney World" Seriously, it's the same routine "how many?" asks the hostess "eight" one of us says. pause. pause. blank stare. counting. We finally put her out of her misery "6 kids 2 adults, no highchairs or boosters" the reply goes something like "It'll be a small wait, I'll have to push two tables together" we say "OK" and wait to be seated. Last night however, was a little more comical so I just have to share. (Especially for those of you who still haven't wrapped your head around why anyone in their right mind would have six).To start the story out right I have to tell you what lead up to the funny moment in the first place.

Josh and I aren't real fast learners so we had taken the kids to look at another house. (where is Dr. Phil when I need him saying "the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour?") It was a frazzling experience to say the least. So, making life much easier on myself I say "let's go out to dinner." Clearly, no one in my family will be arguing that or they will find themselves making dinner, so we were off. After much deliberation we end up at The White Chocolate Grill. (if you haven't had it you really should try it, it was delicious) We have our typical interaction with the hostess but this time she asks "Can I seat you at separate tables?" what? are you insane? is what I think to myself but instead Josh and I shoot a look at each other and Josh says something like "oh, no trust me you don't want us separated" she responds with the usual "it will be a wait because..." gig. We are happy with that so we start to fill every seat in the lobby as we wait. At that point the manager steps in and says "Sir, can I show you the tables we want you sitting at?" and of course Josh is happy to go check out the seating arrangement they'd like to sell us on. It turns out that the tables are only 6 inches from each other they are just attached to the ground so they can't squeeze them together so it works out fine. We sit. eat. eat dessert. and wait patiently for our check. Everything is sounding pretty normal huh? This is where for even us we get a first! The waitress comes to the table and asks if we want separate checks!! HUH? I do my blank stare and whip my head to Josh while looking at him like "ANSWER HER, BECAUSE I KNOW IF I DO, SOMEHOW, I WILL MAKE HER LOOK STUPIDER THAN SHE ALREADY IS!" he calmly answers "no, one check is fine."

I have to admit, we were coming up with some pretty good zingers. "oh, yes absolutely separate checks! The six kid meals on one, ours on the other please" My best bet is that maybe she thought we were on an oh so romantic date? His, Mine and ours? who knows! All I do know for sure is that when it happened I immediately thought..."I'm SO blogging this!" A day in the life of a mom of 6!

1 comment:

Nanette said...

I am so shocked that you guys didn't look at Emma and Kaidon when she asked this to see if they had brought their money to pay for their own! They would have died! Next time that happens, don't look at Josh, you answer her Ambyr. I want to hear what comes out!