Friday, January 9, 2009

Mixed Messages
Isn't it amazing that any of us turn out "normal"? I mean seriously, do you know how psychotic I sound on any given day? (don't really answer that I don't want to have those comments posted....ha!) Their are so many gray lines with kids don't you think?

So, why? Your asking am I choosing to bring this up now? Well, today Kayela was sitting at the island doing an art project when she just leaned over and blew out a candle I had going. I looked at her with my "why did you do that?" face and asked...well...."why did you do that?" Her reply was "it's a candle" I reply "well. Yes. It. Is.??" she said "you blow out candles!" Which brings me to my comment that it's amazing anyone turns out normal because to a kid I think we all sound totally psychotic.

On the kids' first birthday's I practiced with them for a good week before their parties so they could blow out a candle and to not reach out and grab the darn thing. (Poor Graysie she still can't blow out a candle and she's six, although, I have to admit it is pretty darn funny watching her try!) Now, I am saying "don't blow out the candles!" Along the same lines, I had a fire fighter come to our house to teach the kids about fire safety. Ironically, 3 days later our house caught on fire and Emma heroically (yes, even got 1 of 7 citizenship awards in 2008 awarded to her by the Parker fire department) got everyone out of the house safely. Now, Mihya is terrified of our gas stove because of the flame! I can't walk to the sink even without her having a mild stroke(do you realize how hard it is to cook a meal when you can't budge from the stove once it's on?) and now what do I say? "It's OK (patience running thin) this is a good fire!"

How about the coat issue! That's a good one for our family. I'm constantly having to remind the kids to grab their coats. When they are running out the door I stand their saying "did you get your coat? Where's your coat? I think you'll want a coat! Are you missing something...perhaps it's your coat? See the snow..a coat would be a plus! Uh, did you not hear what I just said to the five kids that left before you....WHERE'S YOUR COAT?" But.....if we are going to an indoor activity I do not care how cold it is I am NOT holding coats for six kids so then I say "I know it's cold but we're leaving our coats here so we don't have to carry them around the whole time" what?? It doesn't make any sense.

Just thought of another one....I say "How was your day?" they say "fine" I say "can you elaborate a little here?" they say "It was good" I pry a little more "what did you do on recess?" they say "played" I say "OK, what did you play?" they say "games" hmmm...I'm thinking...."so it was a good day?" "uh huh" OK, better move on to Graysie or Emma "Grays what did you do today?" Graysie responds "well...first I woke up when you said 'wake up', then I got undressed, then I put my clothes in the laundry basket, then I walked to the shower, then I turned the water on, then I felt if it was warm, then it was, then I stepped in the shower, then......." I interject "OK, their are 5 other kids here you're not going to be able to give me EVERY detail so sum up your day in one sentence please!" she says "It was good" SEE??? How crazy are we parent's?

Oh, the potty! Before we leave the house "did you potty?". Tucking into bed "goodnight, did you use the potty?" To the boys "why are you doing that? Do you need to potty?" Leaving a restaurant "let's all go use the potty" Seeing one doing the PP dance "Go use the potty" Josh and I alone on a date and I still USE the word "potty" Then here we are ready to board a plane chaotically trying to get the right partner's sitting together when one says "mommy, I need to potty" My response? "Oh, Lord, NOW? can you not hold it until we take off?" Yep, never fails!

I know you all do it too! Seriously, this is not just me! It is not just an "Ambyrism" Think about it!

No comments: