Friday, February 12, 2010

Change is mostly Good!
In my life I've found that change is mostly good. I've mentioned before that we change often and we change fast and furious.

I was sitting here today realizing how much our lives change paths. Their are times when I am bracing myself for impact, just to find out that the "impact" I have waited for never comes. Don't get me wrong, in my opinion their is always an "impact" it's just not always the one I expected to show up.

Our kids have grown accustomed to their quirky parents and therefore have also grown accustomed to change. They are such troopers and really embrace life head on. I can't let you think that they just naturally learned how to cope with change only because they had too though. No,I want some premeditated credit. I have taught them that most of the time, change is good. For instance, it is good to change your under ware (see? Important huh?). It is good to change your sheets (another great lesson from mom right?). It is good to change a bad attitude (because you don't want me changing it for you...correct?). It is sometimes good to change your spouse (....oh, wait maybe I've taught them it may be good to change for your spouse...well whatever!). Anyway, the whole point is that it amazes me that we know change is for the most part good and yet we end up trying to hold onto what we have right now. Why is that?

Concerning our move, I have to admit, it was not one of those things in life that I was "bracing for impact". Instead, it was quite the opposite. I couldn't get to South Carolina fast enough. Not because we knew anyone, not because I was running from anyone, not because I had something to run to, and not because I suddenly gained a super power to predict that life would be OK. For some reason this just felt right!

Little did I know how much of an impact for the better this move would have on our family. In just two weeks our dynamics have changed. In our minds I think we've realized that we are all we've got. We can look around strenuously but all we find is unfamiliar faces, except for those that are living under the same roof. No one to lean on other than each other. Admittedly, I had gotten into a mommy rut that I wasn't so proud of. I had tried to no avail to dig my way out and yet being in the familiarity of our surroundings, somehow just left me in the trenches. I can't explain how or why, but we are different and we are better.

When I take into account the awesomeness this change has already brought to our family I realize that more often than not the changes that have molded my life have mostly turned out good. Many of them I have lost countless nights of sleep over and shed unnecessary tears to find out, that in the end I couldn't have planned things better had I sat down and tried. As for me, I am consciously going to acknowledge all the goodness the change brings to my life each time it comes knocking at my door. I hope that you too can look back on what life you've lived so far and embrace the changes that have occurred, realizing you're better for them. Maybe then, when change comes, we can each lessen our grip on what it is now that we think we don't want to let go of.

1 comment:

Nanette said...

Well said Ambyr! The other thing you forgot to add, and perhaps you haven't experienced it yet. When you are out in a big crowd and not one single person knows who you are. It is a weird feeling and a fun feeling. You can make a fool out of yourself or you can just blend in. No one cares!