Tuesday, February 23, 2010

He Forgot the Words!!
Through facebook Josh and I learned of an old friend who was going to be on American Idol. We were ecstatic for him, and so made a point of being home this particular night to watch him living out his dream. Here, in South Carolina, American Idol comes on when the kids go to bed and therefore we were sure to get the kids settled much earlier so we could watch without interruption. We were like little kids watching Disney live on stage because every time our friend would be on film we'd point it out to each other with extreme excitement! You see, nothing is more exciting to us, than someone who is realizing there dream, and we knew this had been a long time dream of his!

Over ten year's ago (don't quote me on time lines this wasn't my dream so I am guesstimating here) this friend and his band came together trying to go big in the Christian music industry. They had many teeny bopper followers who loved their music and many adults who believed in their dreams and supported them in many ways. They entertained people on many fronts and were even featured on the Christian radio station. Our kids were little then (some even non-existent) but we would bring them to concerts and coffee shops to hear these guys play and sing. These guys had dreams! Not just small dreams....these guys had big dreams!

So, on the night our friend was featured on American Idol we watched with sheer joy and anticipation. We knew he'd made it far enough to be working with a group and that he (in our mind) was smooth sailing, as he'd worked in a group setting for so many years. As the show continued on and it was his time to perform you can imagine how thrilled we were that this was his moment to shine. Unfortunately, as he performed he was one of the many singers who forgot the words and got voted out. Did you catch that? HE FORGOT THE WORDS! One of the "Simon sins!"

It still has me baffled. Yet, how many times in life do we chase our dreams, get to the end of the road and then we forget the words! More times than not I have chased something until it was the only thing I could set my sights on, and at the end of the road, I "forget the words". As a matter of fact one of the things that I chased like a vengeance was having kids. As far back as I can remember I wanted kids and I wanted to be the "perfect parent" (is their such a thing?), although so many times now I "forget the words". I take for granted what I have daily, yes daily! I get frustrated and mad or even burnt out on this whole mommy thing. I look for something that will lift my spirits or fulfill me...funny since I'm living my dream! It's almost as if I finally realize a dream and by the time I know I'm going to obtain it, I've moved on to something bigger or better that I begin chasing. Not just me either, I see people in and out of my life doing this same thing. Have you "forgotten the words" of your dream?

So, thank you friend for forgetting the words! It has been an eye opener to me in my life. I'm committing to slowing down and making each step of this dream as perfected as possible. I need to focus on my dreams and be sure that I too do not forget the words in my excitement to move on to the next round!

1 comment:

Nanette said...

From the book of "AMBYRISM'S!" Love it!