Friday, February 5, 2010

We Do Potlucks a Little Different Where I'm from!
Valentine's day is one of my kids favorite days of the year! Not only do Josh and I typically leave for an evening out, but they get to load up on sugar all day long at school while doing crafts and getting out of math and homework.

With Valentine's day fast approaching and the kids just getting settled into school, this highlight will be one of their firsts with their new classmates. As usual, the kids are bringing home all the logistics of how each of their classes will be celebrating. Kayela has a typical decorate a shoe box and bring in cards for each of your classmates type of deal. Mikael and Graysie have the usual "this is a great way to practice writing" note from their teacher. Kaidon, being in fourth grade has the "option" to participate in the activities. All sounds pretty fine and dandy huh? Until..... Mihya brings me home a note that might as well been written in a foreign language. It starts out pretty "normal" with the decorate a shoe box, bring in cards for each classmate, here's a class list....blah, blah, blah....WAIT! HUH? POTLUCK? BRING WHAT?

So, here are my choices:

teacher choice................my thoughts
red rice...............what is that? Just rice colored red for the holiday?
hush puppies..........quiet dogs? I can try to keep mine quiet but I'm not sure how they'll do with 30 3rd graders hyped up on sugar.
collard greens.........nope, I do too much laundry to have green collars on any shirt in my house!
crock pot of grits........I have a crock pot but I scrub so their is no grit and grime on their to share with a class of 3rd graders!
toppings for grits........If I knew what grits were, maybe I'd know what goes on top of them?

Needless to say I'm breaking into a sweat, just realizing that I have no idea what any of this is. I scan the list again for anything, just anything I may recognize....NOTHING! Seriously, NOTHING! Of course all the other new moms, not native to South Carolina, have taken all of the paper plates, napkins, table clothe, etc. At the bottom of the sign-up form their is a place you can check that says something like "I would LOVE to help in any way sign me up and tell me what I'm doing". My luck I'd be the one preparing a craft for 30 3rd graders hyped up on sugar, so that is definitely not an option and I keep reading on....blah, blah, blah, I come across "I can help with 'beach in a bottle' and shagging"...Whatever that means! My first fleeting thought is "Well THAT'S not appropriate for 3rd graders!....but what a fun teacher Mihya has, she may be my first friend!".

So, here I sit a day later with the list in hand not really knowing how I am going to be of any help! Right now the only thing that comes to mind is to suggest to her teacher that in the future, for any other parties, add another line just for me that says "PLEASE, I'm bribing begging and pleading with you for $____________ to get out of any of the above listed activities and cooking for this party" next to it she can even type my name permanently. My monetary donation will depend on the depths of despair I am in after reading the check list!




2 comments:

Nanette said...

Look...the crazy memories are starting already! That is so funny! Maybe she would appreciate something brought to the class from your foreign land? I know our foreign land enjoys lots of candy on Valentine's day! :)

crystal said...

Well at least it didn't say for drinks instead of punch we will be toasting with Buttermilk. HAHA!!!
Some how I know you will pull it off....
Everyone breaks bread together, how about rolls :)