Thursday, February 18, 2010

Kaidonisms
For as long as Kaidon has been talking, he has said some of the funniest things. He always has us cracking up whether he tries to or not and whether he finds the humor or not. I thought I would share some of his "kaidonisms" for those of you who need a little pick me up today.

When Kaidon was about 2 and Emma was four, they were playing with Lego's on the floor. Emma stood up and in walking behind Kaidon, accidentally stepped on his fingers. She immediately realized what she had done and before she could apologize Kaidon holding his hand in the air and in his little two year old voice says "EMMA! Do you know what these are?...THESE are fingers! You do not step on fingers!" Emma very sweetly replies "I'm sorry Kaidon", which was apparently good enough for him because he turned around and went back to playing with his Lego's. State the facts, buddy, just so everyone is clear!

Kaidon has always been very warm blooded. He rarely wears a coat and can spend hours in the snow without complaining of the cold. He ice fishes with my dad and is a total outdoors man even in the dead of winter. About a year ago Kaidon told me he kept getting a rash but that it would go away and then show up again. I was getting a little concerned, although, like his rash, my concern just kept going away as I got busy with life. Well, one day as we were driving in the car Kaidon announced that his rash was back. I immediately looked to evaluate if I should be calling the pediatrician, and in my head I started going over anything we had eaten in the past 24 hours so I could maybe relate his fluctuating rash to an allergy. When I examined the "rash" it was nothing more than goose bumps! I said "honey, those are goose bumps, it happens when you get cold". "oh" he replied "THOSE are goose bumps?". It's OK buddy, you're not dying of some rare disease!

Just the other day I called Kaidon in from playing outside. He came racing in the house and I started talking away. The whole time I was talking he was banging on the back of his head. I finally stopped what I was saying and asked him "buddy, what are doing that for?" In which he replied "well, I got up too fast and now I'm trying to get my heart back in my chest and out of my head!" Hmmm, is that how it works buddy? If something is outta whack just pound it back into place!

Kaidon was one of those rare boys who potty trained early. By the time he was two he was completely in big boy undies. The only problem with this, was that it took him forever to use the potty! One day my mom took him into the restroom, and Kaidon was talking and telling her practically everything that had happened in his life up until this point. My mom, getting a little antsy asked him "are you almost done buddy?" in Which Kaidon replied "I think he's getting on his shoes first, then he'll come out Grandy!". Yep, there's always a good reason isn't there buddy? If not, just make one up!

I set myself up for failure when I started tickling my kids backs when they were young. They constantly ask us to tickle their backs whenever their is a lull in life. We can be standing in line at Disney World and as soon as conversation stops one of the kids will say "will you tickle my back?". When Kaidon was around four years old he asked me if I'd tickle his back. I was preoccupied with something else and so I told him "no, not now". Most kids would respond with an "ok" or something close to that response. Not Kaidon, nope, his reply? "why? 'cause there's a butt back there?" It's never stopped me before has it buddy? I realized long ago you had a butt back there!

My mom is here visiting this week. The day she came into town the kids were all excited to show her all the things that were now new in their life. One of the things Kaidon wanted to share was his rubber band bracelets. As he was showing my mom, and she is trying to act interested she asked "Wow! where did you find these?" He frowns and looks up at her as if she were a complete fool and says "Grandy, we didn't find these, we bought them!" Without skipping a beat my mom just said "oh, you bought them? where?". Yes, buddy, some things just need to be clarified to us adults, especially the old timers! We're just not up to date on all these great new things.

Kaidon often reminds me of a book that's called Parts. It is a really funny child's point of view book concerning our bodies and the things that seem so normal to us as adults but are so foreign to kids. If you have young kids I recommend finding it and reading it. Keep us in mind as you do, because if I was a paranoid person, I'd be thinking this author tapped into our house and got all the information from listening to the "Kaidonisms" that have occurred over the years!